Wow. I can’t believe that I’m going to be 27 in two days. What a difference a year can make. A year ago, I was living in the smallest little shoebox apartment, thousands of miles away from home, hundreds of miles from Mike, trying to adjust to life in California. Now, Mike and I are engaged, living in the same city, and we have an honest-to-goodness apartment with four full burners and an oven! Who knows – maybe next year at this time, I’ll even have a dishwasher! Ah, a girl can dream 🙂
In honor of my 27th birthday, I’m sharing 27 things you may not know about me. I’m also sharing my birthday wish list below (and I included some links in case you want to drop hints for anyone in advance of the holidays ;))!
- I’m 100% Lebanese – my dad was born in Lebanon and my mom is of Lebanese decent. I do speak Arabic nearly fluently.
- I absolutely hate cilantro. Like can’t stand it. Like no, you can’t fool me into thinking this might be parsley.
- Before working in television, I was a musical theater major at The University of Cincinnati’s College-Conservatory of Music.
- My favorite artists are Ingrid Michaelson, Train, The Beatles, and Justin Timberlake.
- I have a major sweet tooth, but I prefer pastries to chocolate or candy.
- I have never been to Six Flags – I’m scared of roller coasters.
- On the subject of fears – my mom is a flight-attendant, and I’m the most nervous flyer ever.
- I’m engaged to my high school sweetheart – we didn’t date in high school, but I had the biggest crush on Mike for four years.
- On my 17th birthday (10 years ago – jeez), I walked into math class, where Mike sat behind me. He had bought me a blueberry muffin from the vending machine and put it on my desk.
- I’m a vegetarian, but for some reason, I can’t give up bacon. We all have our quirks.
- My absolute favorite TV shows are Friends and Big Bang Theory.
- I can’t stand silk or satin. I don’t know what it is, but the textures give me the creeps.
- My parents are still married, but my dad has worked overseas since I was 12, and my mom is a flight-attendant. There are times when all three of us would be on different continents!
- I just signed with my first literary agent this year!
- Baking and singing help me to relieve stress.
- When Mike is out of town, I have to sleep on the couch with the lights on.
- I fell in love with theater at five years old. My mom played the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat soundtrack for me and explained the story. I begged her to get me a ticket so I could see the Donny Osmond production with them, and then proceeded to battle Donny for the solos the entire show.
- If I could have lunch with anyone, it would probably be Shonda Rhimes.
- The people I admire most in life are my parents. I hope to become half of the people they are.
- When I was a kid, I broke my leg doing a pirouette on carpet in a friends house. My dad didn’t believe it was broken – my mom had a field day breaking the news.
- I joke about it, but I do struggle a bit with anxiety and OCD. Some days, I feel anxious for no apparent reason. Other days, I struggle with needing to do things just so. It’s not the type where I have to knock three times or wash my hands compulsively, but it’s still real. For anyone else struggling with mental health – don’t ignore it. Our mental health is just as important as our physical health.
- My favorite restaurant in Chicago is Tuscany in Wheeling, and my favorite restaurant in LA is definitely Catch.
- I’m a bit of an introvert – too much socializing leaves me feeling like I need a few days under a blanket.
- I truly believe everything happens for a reason – everything I’ve done in life has lead me towards one things or away from another. It’s informed the person I’ve become, and that thought calms my anxiety a lot of the time.
- I’m getting married in June of next year in Grand Cayman!
- The next trip I’d like to take is to Greece.
- My favorite season is fall and I love a good rainy day!!